Monday 5 July 2021

Hocus Pocus decor book

 Do you like Harry Potter or all things magical I certainly do and so I decided I would creat a book box using Waiting for the letter collection of papers and lots of chipboard elements to create one of my favourite projects a diorama/shadow box.


 Having collected my elements the first thing I did was construct the rectangular book box - I always leave the top piece off the shadow box element until I have decorated the inside with papers but on this occassion it was even more important as I wanted to have my owl from the papers "flying". I fussy cut the owl out and adhered a strip of acetate to the back of it with double sided tape and then attatched the other end to the top of the shadow box as shown. Then I added the top panel ensuring that the acetate was now firmly sandwiched between the two pieces of chipboard.


I covered the front cover inside and outside with papers from the collection and then set about creating my diorama. All libaries need a clock and to create mine I chose chipboards from steampunk set of clocks layereing  elements which I coloured with green goldpaste and copper goldpaste.

I then fussy cut lots of paper elements out covering the bottles and vials with glossy accents so that they were shiny. I chose  a set of themed chipoboards -  elixir chipboards to add extra interest to my make. The glasses I painted with black gesso and then covered with a layer of glossy accents. I then created my composition adding scraps of left over chipboard and/or cardboard so that the elements to build up the depth of my composition. For the base of the shadow box I rolled up scraps of paper and tied them with natural hemp cord.

To the inside front cover I added more elements from the papers.

I then turned my attention to the front cover. I chose to use a chipboard frame which came with a shaker capsule that I filled with dark gold micro beads - there is a similar frame  (alchemy frame) on the website without the shaker element but you could add that for your self with some acetate and dimensional tape. I then layered more fussy cut motifs along with the remaining elixir chipboards to the front of the book adding glossy accent to the eyes of the owl and my title.


To finish the piece I tied 4 strips of shabby ribbon around the spine - I chose a pale blue, dark brown, mid brown and dark grey shades which co-ordinated well with the colours in the papers.

I hope you have enjoyed reading this project - if you wanted to use it for gifting you could easily add a pocket to the inside front cover to tuck a gift card in and of course a special message for your loved one.











No comments:

Post a Comment