Monday 24 August 2020

Use your Wings - DIY MDF

 - MONDAYS WITH GILL - 

I think that these three words are so important - if we use our wings we may well fly but if we don't try we will surely fail and hence the project for this month. 

The starting point for my make this time was a MDF moth shape but you could just as easily use the butterfly as the moth as I write this appears to be out of stock.


I started by adding detail to my piece by stencilling using modelling paste through the timeless stencil by Little Birdie. When this was dry I covered the whole piece with white gesso before adding a dirty green paint and then Distress oxide reinker in vintage photo giving the piece a rustic feel.


Would you believe that all of my paper pieces came from a single pack of die cuts and that I still had some left over?. I used Little Birdie woodland die cuts and layered these on top of each other using glue gel for added dimension.


I felt my piece needed some more texture and added some Snipart ivy leaves tucking these these in and around my die cuts before adding some Little Birdie flowers from the Andrea collection.


To create a hanger for my piece and the tails that hang below I used some Shabby Ribbon in mint and in ivory this too was dirtied up a little using vintage photo distress oxide reinker.  I created a bow at the top of the piece and left the tails long to fall behind the MDF shape adhering it in place using gel medium. I added tags from the die cut pack to the ends of the ribbons.

Finally I chose my sentiment "use your wings".

I hope you like my shabby style wall hanging. I had great fun making it and really would encourage you to look out the Shabby Ribbons available on the website along with the wonderful die cuts, stencils and flowers by Little Birdie.














No comments:

Post a Comment