I love companies that make papers with different sizes and co-ordinating extras as they make constructing projects much easier. Today I am sharing with you an exploding box which has a shaker element incorportaed into the lid of the box. For my make I have used Ocean Deep papers in 8 x 8 and Journal Extras.
I made my base from scratch using 12 x 12 cardstock scored at 4 and 8 inches on each side and then cut out the opposite corner pieces. My lid was constructed from a 6 inch square of card stock scored at 1" and then cut to make flaps. You could just as easily use a pre made base navy blue which makes a more sturdy lid and saves the effort of cutting, scoring and folding. Which ever base you choose to use the next step needs to be done before you put the lid together as you need to make a window to fit the shaker element into so that you can see into the box from above.
To do this I took my shaker element jolly roger porthole and used this to draw a circle in the centre of the box lid which I then cut out. I repeated this with 10cm squares of paper from the paper collection creating one for the outside and one for the inside of the box. Before securing the inside panel of paper I added a square of acetate to create my window.
I then layered up the two chipboard elements of my porthole before dusting both the acetate in the lid and the shaker box from the porthole set with an antistatic pad and then positioning my sequins and beads fromthe christmas and frosty shaker sets and some tiny dried shells and star fishfrom my stash over the acetate window. I then adhered the shaker box in place and the frame over that.
I then adhered strips of paper to the sides of the lid having distressed the edges first - the width of your strips needs to be 2mm less than the deph box base lid you are using.
Having made my lid I then decorated the inside of my box using papers and journal extra elements combined with chipboards. I added a layer of distressed paper to the base of each square and then on the side panels added another layer approximately 5mm smaller than the first lifting this up with scraps of chipboard waste (cardboard box would work equally as well but is a little thicker. I chose to decorate the side walls of the box with opposite panels having the same configuration. One set of side walls had the corner pocket from the journal extras pack added to create a pocket into which I tucked the date card fromthe journal extras pack and then two tags from the paper pad. The tags had natural hemp cord added. I added more paper elements and then chipboard elements that represented the sea - my coral chipboards are no longer in stock but several of the twig tagged sets in the shop could be substituted.
For the two remaining side panels I took the file folder tabbed piece from the journal extras set and folded it in half to create pages. I then layered paper elements as before to the front flap before adhering it to the base paper panels. I then added a chipboard sea horse.
For the central base of the box I added a mat of paper and then layered a second piece 1cm smaller with chipboard waste to the center of it thereby creating a stable base for my diornama. For this I used a 3D raft which comes with the net and life bouy placing this as shown.
Through out the box I used magic glue to secure everthing in place. I tucked in pieces of cheesecloth as I added my layers and finally added sequins and co-ordinating pastel hydrangea.
Finally I added some shabby ribbon - 045 and 065 and lace around the box lid.
Post a Comment